Thursday, July 2, 2009

Be Still and Know

The people walking in darkness have seen a great light; on those living in the land of the shadow of death a light has dawned. (Isaiah 9:2)

Deep in the depths of the shadow of the night,
I find myself lost and confused, hopelessly searching for light,
My will is so worn down there’s no reason left to fight,
My mind is consumed with failure, fear, and fright.

Fear has overtaken my body, spirit, and mind,
This gradual decline has turned into a slide,
I keep slipping back down whenever I try to climb,
Can someone out there tell me everything is fine?

Can someone out there hear my desperate pleas?
I’m falling to the ground, scars left on the knees,
My strength is shaken, it sways like the leaves on trees
I’m lost, helpless, and in need of help, please!

So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous hand. (Isaiah 41:10)

All this anger and hatred has built up inside of me,
This can’t be the way that things should be,
There must be more out there I am too broken to see,
But there is nothing, its so hard to believe.

Where were you when I needed you the most?
How come a little brother is nothing but a ghost?
Why do good people suffer, while others just boast?
How come I feel I’ve been burnt by you more than toast?

I can’t believe I ask these questions still,
But there is nothing left in me, I’m left unfilled,
I have nothing left in me; zip, nada, nil,
I’m crying out, please take of me what you will.

Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go. (Joshua 1:9)

I can feel you in the room, your presence is sitting close,
But my body has been beaten, its torn and morose,
My mind has never been more withered, its wilted like the tears of a rose,
You have to be here, but it seems nothing more than a ghost.

The world all around me has left me scarred,
Keeping right in this place has proved much too hard,
I closed off your love, but now my heart is ajar,
Please come knocking at my door, you can’t be far.

Now I’m at a loss but I’m not one to lose,
I have nothing else to strive for, you are my only muse,
I’m tired of the lies, I need to find the truth,
Tell me if I need to stay here, or if I need to move.

Be still and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth. (Psalm 46:10)

Easy is not in my vocabulary, I know this will be tough,
But I know with you anything is more than enough,
I want to shout your name out louder so you hear me above,
Fill my heart with your glory, fill my heart with your love.

When I am weak, I know that you are always strong,
Knowing you are right means admitting I am wrong,
I know you will take my hand and be by my side all along,
I’m breaking down but I finally belong.

Fill me with your grace and fill me with that fire,
I want to be lifted where I can’t get any higher,
Keep me going strong even when I become tired,
Give me the balance to walk on this thin wire.

But now, Lord, what do I look for? My hope is in you. Save me from all my transgressions; do not make me the scorn of fools. (Psalm 39:7-8)

Impossible is nothing, with you I can believe,
Even when things are bleak, you are there to help me achieve,
I know I don’t always know it, but you will never leave,
I understand you are always here, even though I can’t always see.

Please give me the wisdom and strength to survive,
Please keep me above water, do not let me dive,
Please give me your passion and goals for which I can strive,
Please give me your fire so I can feel alive.

This is not always easy to say, but Lord I love you,
You have always helped me without my knowledge, even from my youth,
Take my hand, Lord, and make me new,
For your way is the light, your way is the glory, and your way is the truth.

I can do everything through him who gives me strength. (Philippians 4:13)

1 comment:

catherinecarmen said...

that's beautiful, Brenny.
your heart is beautiful.